I recently posted the photo below on my Instagram stories, sharing about my brief walk to help manage my anxiety. I asked the question: How do you manage stress and anxiety during the workday? And I loved the responses you sent in!
I’ve also mentioned in recent blog posts that I’ve been struggling with anxiety, so I decided it would be fitting to share the great advice so many of you sent in right here on the blog, instead of on a quick Instagram story that will disappear in 24 hours. This will not only allow me to spend a little more time reflecting on your words of wisdom, but it will also give others the opportunity to stumble upon these words on a later date.
So one more time – here’s the question:
How do you manage stress and anxiety during the workday?
- “Walked away from my computer and did a smaller task that would make me feel accomplished”
- “Really listening to myself and learning what I need for myself mentally”
- “Watch Vines or go somewhere by myself”
- “I listen to ASMR videos on YouTube!”
- “Lunch breaks away from the office!”
- “Being outside or at least in a different environment helps me.”
- “Start the day with scripture, prayer throughout, and counsel of good friends.”
- “Softly playing Jesus music with my headphones! Works well when I can’t be away.”
- “Walks are huge for me and I also sneak away into a cozy meeting room and read!”
- “Devotionals about anxiety and fear really help me put myself in check.”
- “Don’t just drink coffee. Do pour over. The ritual helps.”
- “Visit with friends.”
- “Lay on the floor with my palms up, close my eyes, and focus on my breathing.”
- “Walk with the dogs. Helps every time.”
- “I love watching IG stories of dogs. So funny!”
- “Movement (walk, dance, stretch), music, prayer, pets.”
- “I try to take the stairs as much as possible so I get a little exercise to break up the day!”
- “Make a list of everything adding to my anxiety to help me calm down and conquer it.”
I want to make sure I mention that I am not trying to say one or all of these answers will cure an anxious heart. I have had seasons where I’ve gone to counseling and been on medication, so I am sensitive to those of you reading this who might think, “Easy for her to say!” or “She really doesn’t get it!” I know personally that overcoming anxiety is not a quick fix. These are just a few answers I felt either personally connected to or thought others might find beneficial to help combat anxiety in the moment. Advice to help you and me simply get through the day.
Just in case you’re curious to know my go-to tactics for overcoming anxiety and stress during the workday:
- Starting the day with Jesus – in the Word and/or in prayer (and praying as I work or while I’m driving)
- Cutting back on caffeine (I have no shame in drinking decaf! I notice a big difference with this one!)
- Walks and just being outside for a bit
- Breaking for lunch instead of eating at my desk while I work
- Turning off phone notifications and placing my phone out of sight (out of sight, out of mind!)
- A scented candle
- Spending time with the people I love in the evenings
- Also in the evenings: Knitting, Netflix, Harry Potter… my interests that aren’t related to work!
Take good care of yourselves! Do what is best for YOU to get through the day. If you’re struggling with deeper anxiety, I highly suggest getting help, whether that be through friends and family, counseling, your church, medication, or a combination of those. You are not alone!
Thanks again for all the great responses to this question! Can’t wait to try some of them myself!